Ava’s Soccer Training Program
Fall Soccer Training – Recreation Season
The Fall recreation soccer season is just kicking off. Ava plays with two separate clubs, New River Youth Sports and Southwest Soccer Club. The former has a one hour practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The latter holds practice for up to two hours on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (optional).
Additionally, Ava practices her soccer skills just about every single day for up to two hours. Soccer Dad Oz and Ava train whether it’s rain or shine.
Drills include (not limited to):
- Passing – one touch, trap then pass (2 touches), pass turns (receive the ball, rotate around it on the spot, then pass), etc.
- Free kicks
- Shooting while receiving a pass
- Dribbling through cones with inside/outside of the foot
- Juggling – feet, knee & combination
- Footwork – The Ronaldo Chop, Cruyff, Step-Over, etc.
- Headers (with smaller, slightly deflated ball)
- Trapping with the body ie: chest, knee, foot.
- Toe touches – taps, zaps, triangle, push-pull, sole rolls, etc.
- 1v1 Scrimmage
- Speed and agility with cones
Strength & Core Training
- Bicep curls – 5-8lb dumbells
- Assisted Pull-ups – she’s well on her way to her first unassisted pull-up.
- Push-ups – currently learning correct form.
- Leg raises
Soccer training isn’t just about doing drills and scrimmaging, however. Ava and Soccer Dad Oz sometimes watch video footage of her practices/games so they learn where she needs improvement and where to make changes. They also spend time watching videos of other soccer players – for motivation, inspiration and new training ideas.
Ava’s story is just beginning. Follow her journey – she has an amazing future ahead.